The World Health Assembly is the decision-making body of WHO. It is attended by delegations from all WHO Member States and focuses on a specific health agenda prepared by the Executive Board.
This year, due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, the 73rd World Health Assembly will be virtual. The agenda has been reduced to fit into two days, starting on Monday 18 May and concluding no later on Tuesday 19 May.
The programme will cover:
- Opening of the Health Assembly by WHA 72 President
- Election of the President and five Vice-Presidents
- Presidential address
- Statements by invited speakers
- Address by the Director-General (on COVID-19 pandemic response)
- Statements by Heads of delegation on COVID-19 pandemic
- EB: election
- Closure/suspension (The WHA will consider suspending and reconvening later in the year to consider the remaining items on the agenda)